A browser extension is a piece of software that expands (complements) the functionality of the browser. It is also able to integrate into cloud software through the browser. You can download and add to Octo Browser any extensions available for regular Chrome.
You can consult our video tutrial covering adding extensions here:
To add an extension to Octo Browser, you need to enable saving extensions in the Settings of a desired profile (in the Storages tab), start the profile and install the extensions you need into the profile through the Chrome Web Store. Installed extensions will be displayed in the "Extensions" tab in the Settings of this profile.
After adding extensions to a profile, they will appear on the list for all team members on all devices. You can also select extensions from the list (without re-installation) and assign them in the Settings of other profiles, provided that this option is enabled in Storages → Extensions.
All extensions are stored in the cloud and cached locally on the device. Extensions are available to all team members and are linked to each user's account. Extensions added to a profile are not transferred to other Octo Browser accounts (for example, when transferring a profile).
Installing custom extensions
You can also install a custom extension to any profile (using the developer mode). To do this, you need to:
- Open the Extensions page in the browser: browser menu in the upper right corner → More tools → Extensions; or copy the path chrome://extensions/ and paste it into the address bar of the browser and press Enter.
You will see a switch "Developer mode" in the top right corner; activate it. You will see 3 additional buttons below: "Load unpacked," "Pack extension," "Update."
- Rename the extension file ending in .crx so that it ends in .zip, and open it with an archiver as a regular archive. If the custom extension is already in a .zip archive, open it as a regular archive. Unpack it into a folder you have prepared (for example, create a folder on the C drive called Extensions, or use any other name).
- On the Extensions page in the browser click on the "Load unpacked" button, and in the window that appears select the necessary folder, and click OK.
- The extension will be installed in the browser. Now all you have to do is activate it by toggling on the switch next to the extension.
Custom extensions are available to all team members. Custom extensions are linked to each user's account and are not transferred to other Octo Browser accounts (for example, when transferring a profile).
Auto-update of extensions is not supported. You will need to install a new version of an extension through the Chrome Web Store. This extension version will become available for installation into Octo Browser profiles (profile Settings → Extensions).
To remove an extension from your Octo Browser profile, you need to:
- Open the profile Settings and go to the Extensions tab (Vertical ellipsis → Edit Profile → Extensions)
- Deselect the extensions you want to remove
- Save the profile
The deselected extension(s) will not be added on subsequent launches of the profile. An option to remove extensions from the list of account extensions will be added in future releases of Octo Browser.
If you know how to do it, uninstalling unused extensions is possible via API. Learn more in our API documentation.
Extension does not work or disappears from the list
Make sure that you have installed the extension exactly as specified above. Make sure that the Extensions are activated in the profile Settings → Storage.
The extension is duplicated
Such a situation may arise if you have installed an extension from an unofficial source, and the KEY parameter is missing from manifest.json there. If you add such an extension to a profile, every profile launch will create a duplicate of the extension because the key is missing.
You need to deactive such an extension in all profiles; otherwise, the extension will duplicate on profile start, and the list will keep growing. If such an extension is necessary in your work, you can either install it from an official source (e.g., Chrome Web Store), or add the KEY parameter to the manifest.json file to prevent the extension from duplicating.